Books | Art | Critical Theory | Music | New York



Idiosyncrasy


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information provided here is governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



There is a feeling, which most would probably anticipate, that corporate offices discourage idiosyncrasies and individuality. I started thinking about this idea when I read a (partly tongue-in-cheek) definition of "collaboration" in another's blog: "the means by which idiosyncrasy is overridden by mutually intelligible procedure". This is mostly true in an environment in which there is one underlying goal that motivates most decisions: making money. Spend less to make more, which translates to a slavish adherence to some abstract ultimatum, which is the "bottom line"--save a few at the top, no one knows much about it, but nevertheless lives in its shadow. Working at a place like The Economist, I thought that I could save a certain idealism in that there is a parallel goal of providing some service to society. But anything outside of the editorial department has very little to do with that idea. Editorial is upstairs in a quiet, sun-filled office, scattered with books and punctuated with the clacking of keyboard keys. They are absolutely isolated, suspended in an otherwise idiosyncratic-less world of mailrooms and check acquisitions, excel spreadsheets and hushed phone conversations. Editorial could not exist without this web around it, holding it up, but they have almost no interaction with it. The people down here are either oblivious to the writers upstairs, or have a vague respect for them and make sure to tiptoe when they go by their office.

I try to joke around as much as I can, like when someone prints out a large number of pages, I say "Printing War and Peace again?" Not all that funny but deserving of a smile, I'd say: but nothing. Interestingly, the higher-ups in this department are the most humorless, while those near the bottom harbor a small part of themselves in which they can laugh knowingly.

What is idiosyncrasy, exactly? I think that the sense in which we use it only refers to one of its definitions, and we stretch it slightly. We mean it as a general word for strange quirks in a person's makeup, a personality anomaly. But really it has more to do with structures and systems, or physiology, and it can refer not to an individual, but a group. The people down here think that the entire editorial department is idiosyncratic, I suppose, that as a group they are peculiar. They are using the word correctly. Man, I wish I were working up there.

2 Comments

    Blogger Max Wastler 

    First, to cover the last, you will. Eventually, somehow or another, bouncing gleefully upon the aforementioned web. We all see it. We do. So, give a small fist pump with our foreknowledge.

    Next, to cover the rest, leaving, if not for a little over two months, my little art bubble to pursue a similar position in a corporation dressed up in creative clothes, pun or not, I realized one thing: the outside sucks. And unlike yourself, I have the distinct disadvantage of being completed surrounded by the creative side, and everyday, I feel like the guy at dinner who can't afford desert. Sitting there, all these people look like me. They walk, talk, and act like me. Just so happens they have the money to spring for meringue.

    So what? How doth one burst the bubble? I don't have the answer. I'm posing the question for the general collective. I suppose with work - elbow grease - anything is possible. Hop to it y'all.

    Blogger tyhollett 

    Despite our different situations, I feel like we're both outsiders looking in--like Max said, the guys who can't spring for the meringue. The thing is, I make comments like your "printing out _War and Peace_" and don't get a laugh either BUT when I start laughing, they follow. Then, the comment was absolutely hysterical. I think that says something about the way we want to perceive what others have to say. They're choosing not to laugh, not to join in on your idiosyncracies. Here, I embrace those idiosyncracies and the people take them and our curious about them--so I throw more at them. I would like to think that even the highgest of the higher-ups have some idiosyncracies that they hold onto; at the very least, I'd say that the best of the higher-ups certainly do...



Leave your input.

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • Blake
  • Chicago, IL, United States

Previous posts




Powered by Blogger
Check Page Rank