Books | Art | Critical Theory | Music | New York



Econom(istr)y


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information provided here is governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



One thing that's great about New York is fire escapes. I sit outside in the humidity and watch what I have fortuitously calculated to be about 68% of traffic: cabs.

I started a job at The Economist today, which is a temp position that's "indefinite," until they begin a search to replace the woman who was fired yesterday. It's a great setup, and I get to feel like I'm working towards something valuable--instead of, say, what I was doing yesterday, which was playing the part of receptionist for a real estate auction company that sells off peoples' foreclosed homes. One thing I learned, at least, while working through lunch: when it's your job to answer phones, don't take large bites.

Also, a bus picks me up across the street and economically drops me off ten feet from the door to the office. The heat in this town is off the charts, so the more spare one's movements (in a dress shirt, no less), the better.

Go listen to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. It's a surprising amount of fun.

3 Comments

    Anonymous Anonymous 

    Talk about heat. Blake, my house feels like the onsens we visited. I bought a big straw/bamboo (?) shade to lean against my windows. Ah, rural Japan versus New York City...

    Anonymous Anonymous 

    Blake, seriously man I keep checking your blog and you haven't posted anything recently. I have to spend a lot of time in front of the computer, i need something worthwhile to read, I'm all caught up on pitchfork, so I just have to read the new posts....austin

    Anonymous Anonymous 

    Agreed.



Leave your input.

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • Blake
  • Chicago, IL, United States

Previous posts




Powered by Blogger
Check Page Rank