Books | Art | Critical Theory | Music | New York



New York Post


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information provided here is governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I just listened to the opening cut on Vitalic's album OK Cowboy and I am amazed--it's a track that manages to call attention to both its melody and rhythm in a very distinct, fully-formed way. It could be that I am just waking up from a nap, and music always sounds the best just after you wake up. Why is that? Do we get pure ears for a short time after we wake up? Is it because music is an abstract medium that we can more easily understand if we've just left our abstract dreams? When I've just woken up, each instrument of the music is clear and I feel more closely tied to what's happening.

New York is perfect. There is a French grocery store/bakery/deli next door to our apartment, and I've spent at least 4 meals there since we've arrived--large coffee is just over a dollar, and a fried egg on a kaiser roll only sets you back $1.25. I knew it was a good sign when I was sipping my coffee yesterday morning, and saw chefs through the window picking out produce.

The apartment reminds me of a treehouse, which I mean as a compliment. I am exactly one quarter of an inch shorter than the 6 ft ceilings under the lofts, and I am finally thankful that I am not, indeed, a 6 ft. tall man. The kitchen is tiny but adequate, the view onto York Ave. is nice, and we're in a fantastic location at 73rd st.. Although we are probably paying the cheapest rent of anyone in this zip code and are therefore continually reminded of our inferior economic standing, there's the added perk of really nice furniture that people leave on the curb. So far we've found a stand for the TV and a really nice chair with three legs. Looking at piles of trash becomes instinctive and unconscious. It's actually sort of a nice system of take and give away, like there's an unsaid friendliness.

Back to wading through boxes and prodding myself to work on my resume to find a job. For the record, I read the Times.

1 Comments

    Anonymous Anonymous 

    Can you upload pictures to your blog? You lucky SOB. The East Coast will be a rockin' soon enough. Philly proper holdin' up three hours south. Give us some ivy love my man. We got low cloud cover in Korea. Time to run.



Leave your input.

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • Blake
  • Chicago, IL, United States

Previous posts




Powered by Blogger
Check Page Rank