Books | Art | Critical Theory | Music | New York



2005 Albums (6-10)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information provided here is governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Keep up here, here, and here

10. Bright Eyes - I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning
Despite Austin’s insistence, I still can’t get into most of Bright Eyes’ material. I’m not attracted to the sort of adolescent rawness that characterizes it; in combination with Conor Oberst’s voice, it comes across as whiny. But this album exists in a place more interesting than the riotous country of teenage years: it’s an album of transition to adulthood. Many of the songs deal with New York City and it means a great deal to me to find the familiarity in these songs. It’s a folk album that I actually feel apart of, rather than my usual impression of folk coming from some long-ago, bygone era which I can observe but never quite understand. It reminds me a lot of Ryan Adams’ Heartbreaker, actually--songs about travelling, Emmylou Harris harmony spot, and, most importantly, songs about being young, sad, depressed, and ambitious. There’s a sense in this album of movement and standing still, and wondering which to do--to voice everything or internalize it, to run or sit, to cry or swallow the tears. It’s all very melodramatic, but such has been my post-college life. This album has helped it to make sense.

9. Antony and the Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now
This album made sense when I saw Antony live at Carnegie Hall, and he made a comment during the show about his intention in making his music: to nurture a sense of joy. As I began listening to this album at first, I remember the siren quality of his voice, the melancholy notes, the rending sadness of his lyrics. It was an utterly beautiful album to play over and over again and become enveloped in, especially “Hope There’s Someone,” the opening track. That alone made this album important to me. But seeing an artist live will always add another layer to their artistry, however unfair that may be to use as in influence in making this list. But I was amazed how lighthearted and funny Antony was, how much he joked around and the general happiness of his persona when he wasn’t singing. It provided the contrast, of course, to the songs themselves, and that’s why his comment about joy makes sense: joy exists as something apart from, and even opposite of, happiness. Not to get all philosophical, but this balance of elements is the kind of revelation that I’m amazed a piece of music can provide. When it comes to the album itself, I can only say that it’s achingly, achingly beautiful.

8. M.I.A. - Arular
Once again, seeing M.I.A. live made a difference, though I loved this album before I saw her at Summer Stage in 90 degree heat in Central Park with Salman Rushdie. Nevertheless, the anthemic power of the songs came alive when i saw her perform them. But playing it in the car while driving around in the summer is something close: blending elements of hip-hop and world music and dance and electronic into a contradictory, politically-charged, really fun dance party. To be honest, I’m mostly ignorant to her politics beyond a general desire for pulling up the poor and embracing some sort of anti-capitalist globalism sing-along--and I’m sure if I sat down and thought it through, I wouldn’t agree with her on more than one point--but I think that’s somewhat alright. The essence of her message is infused into the music, which is a feat that doesn’t happen easily. Pop music that is infused with politics is usually bad, just as is pop music that is infused with religion and any other system of thought--in most cases, it detracts from the artistry. But she pulls it off impeccably, intrinsically, naturally. For that reason, this album is, in my opinion, an immense success.

7. Art Brut - Bang Bang Rock and Roll
No, I didn’t get this album at first: I kept looking to the music for something interesting going on. It’s great music, better-than-average song writing, but nothing groundbreaking. But as the ironic pose of the lead singer began to develop (appreciating British human is part of it), the whole thing came into focus. The best moment of any song this year is halfway through “Good Weekend,” when the lead singer declares that he’s seen his new girlfriend naked....TWICE! The combination of self-seriousness and parody is what makes this album one of the funniest and smartest albums of the year. The pose they have going is good for hours of laughs, and this album delivers line after line of the sort of humor that still gets funnier each time you hear it. “Modern Art” might be my favorite song on the album, wherein the lead singer declares that Modern Art makes him want to rock out. Perhaps it’s the Art history major in me, but that has to be among the cleverest songs I’ve ever heard. Somehow all of this never gets cloying, and only gets funnier. It’s really impossible to describe or translate the note of irony that these guys strike; you really just have to listen to it. Really, that’s why it’s good.

6. Spoon - Gimme Fiction
When Kyle downloaded this album and eagerly played it in the living room, it was just a month or two after I began listening to Spoon, again thanks to the Pitchfork Media best albums of 2000-2004. So I was in the midst of having what was basically a nervous breakdown--for a healthy amount of time, they were the perfect band to me. Accessible but complicated, catchy but possessing staying power, stripped down and simple, rough-edged, pop and rock. I was totally enamored. This album is unbelievably good, and though it may not be a leap forward from Kill the Moonlight, that didn’t really matter to me because I was taking all the albums in at once. I used to play the overture-esque first track every time I wanted to feel like I was embarking on a journey (to the library or the bathroom, oftentimes) and it still makes my stomach churn. “I Turn My Camera On” has to the most perfect track of the year: no matter how many times you listen to it, it is impeccable and interesting. I love the way this album makes me feel, its leanness and machine-like endurance combined with melodious songwriting. Each instrument is placed with what seems like mathematical precision, as if it could be no other way. It sounds exactly the same as the first time I heard it, and I have never been able to say that about any other band.
Filed in:

0 Comments



Leave your input.

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • Blake
  • Chicago, IL, United States

Previous posts




Powered by Blogger
Check Page Rank